ESPN Sportsbook: Everything You Need To Know About ESPN BET
ESPN is getting into the sports betting business.
ESPN has announced an agreement with PENN Entertainment to launch a new sportsbook branded as ESPN BET. This news comes as PENN Entertainment has severed ties with Barstool Sportsbook, allowing them to rebrand their sportsbook offering with the Worldwide Leader in Sports.
Here’s everything you need to know about ESPN BET and the anticipated Fall 2023 launch date.
ESPN BET Review
|Sign-Up Promo Code||TBD|
|Launch Date||Fall 2023|
|Available States||Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia|
Details surrounding the ESPN betting app are still emerging, but there are a few key details we know so far.
ESPN BET is expected to launch in Fall 2023 partway through the NFL season. In the first earnings call since PENN Entertainment announced the new deal, CEO Jay Snowden confirmed ESPN BET would go live before Thanksgiving 2023.
The ESPN sportsbook will have market access to the 16 states that Barstool Sportsbook was live in. ESPN BET will likely look to expand into new markets where Barstool Sportsbook fell short, including the coveted New York region. Of course, they’ll also likely look to new opportunities presented by recently legalized states like Kentucky and North Carolina.
More additions will be made to our ESPN BET review once this highly-anticipated sportsbook launches.
What To Expect From the ESPN BET Platform
While little is currently known about the ESPN BET sportsbook, we can look to PENN’s previous sportsbook and the official press release from ESPN for more details on what to expect.
Known for having a reliable sportsbook app, competitive promos, and state-of-the-art technology, PENN Entertainment has a rich history in the sports betting industry. Pair their expertise with the household ESPN brand name, and ESPN BET is likely to quickly become one of the most popular sportsbooks in the US market.
Two head figures from PENN Entertainment and ESPN were quick to share their enthusiasm surrounding this deal. Jimmy Pitaro, Chairman for ESPN, commented “the strategy here is simple: to give fans what they’ve been requesting and expecting from ESPN. PENN Entertainment is the perfect partner to build an unmatched user experience for sports betting with ESPN BET.”
As per the ESPN press release, Jay Snowden, Chief Executive Officer and President, PENN Entertainment said, “this agreement with ESPN and collaboration on ESPN BET allows us to take another step forward as an industry leader. Together, we can utilize each other’s strengths to create the type of experience that existing and new bettors will expect from both companies, and we can’t wait to get started.”
ESPN BET is expected to launch sometime in Fall 2023. We’re keeping this page updated with all the latest details surrounding ESPN BET.
What Could the ESPN BET Sportsbook Look Like?
The ESPN BET Sportsbook will likely look similar to other PENN Entertainment offerings like Barstool Sportsbook and theScore Sportsbook.
With PENN Entertainment severing ties with Barstool Sportsbook, its likely that the gaming giant uses much of the sportsbook app infrastructure they relied on before Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy reacquired 100% of the media brand.
Emergency Press Conference – I Bought Back Barstool Sports pic.twitter.com/dmUk0eNowx
— Dave Portnoy (@stoolpresidente) August 8, 2023
Some other key notes surrounding the launch of ESPN BET include the following points:
- ESPN BET will be live in the 16 states PENN Entertainment is currently licensed to operate in.
- PENN Entertainment will make $1.5 billion in cash payments to ESPN over the course of their new 10-year agreement, while also granting $500 million in warrants.
- A rebranded iCasino product will see PENN Entertainment launch a Hollywood-branded iCasino product in states where permitted.
Stay tuned for more details on what the ESPN BET sportsbook could look like.
What Could the ESPN BET Welcome Offer Look Like?
As one of the newest and most anticipated sportsbooks in town, ESPN BET will bring a lucrative sign-up bonus to attract new customers. Even though ESPN has massive brand name recognition, they’ll need to offer an enticing registration promo to compete in the crowded US sportsbook market.
With PENN Entertainment rebranding the Barstool Sportsbook, one might assume that ESPN BET will offer a similar $1,000 Deposit Match bonus offered with the old brand. While that could be the case, there’s currently no confirmation on what the main promo code could look like.
Other types of sign-up promos we could see at ESPN BET include options like first bet insurance or bet and get bonuses. Personally, we’d like to see the ESPN sportsbook offer a bet and get welcome offer, where you simply need to wager a required amount in order to unlock additional bonus bets.
We’ll keep you informed with whatever ESPN BET promo code is made available when the sportsbook launches in Fall 2023.
ESPN BET: Latest News & Updates
Here is the latest news you need to know about the ESPN BET sports betting platform.
- August 14, 2023: According to a report from FrontOfficeSports.com, the $2 billion package ESPN accepted from PENN Entertainment was approximately half of what they originally wanted to ink a sports betting agreement. It’s believed ESPN wanted $4 billion over 10 years from other potential suitors like DraftKings and FanDuel. According to an investor presentation between the two companies, PENN believes they could see an annual adjusted EBITDA of $1 billion by 2027 if they capture 20% of the online sports betting market share in North America. 90% of the current US sports betting market share is dominated by big players like FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM, and Caesars Sportsbook.
- August 10, 2023: Disney CEO Bob Iger commented that PENN’s offer for ESPN BET was better than the rest “by far.” Speaking during a Q3 2023 fiscal year earnings report, Iger noted “We believe there’s an opportunity to significantly grow engagement across ESPN consumers, particularly young consumers, and why PENN? Because PENN stepped up in a very aggressive way and made an offer to us that was better than any of the competitive offers — by far.” Other operators like DraftKings and Caesars were previously linked to ESPN dating as far back as 2020.
- August 9, 2023: PENN Entertainment CEO Jay Snowden told the public during the company’s Q2 2023 earning report call that ESPN BET will debut “certainly before Thanksgiving.” While an exact date was not provided, it is expected that the sportsbook will go live sometime during the NFL season.
- August 8, 2023: ESPN and PENN Entertainment announce an agreement to launch a new sportsbook platform, ESPN BET, in Fall 2023. This comes after Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy reacquired 100% of the Barstool media brand. ESPN BET is expected to launch in Fall 2023.
ESPN sports betting will soon be a reality. Keep it locked in with this page for all the latest news surrounding the launch of ESPN BET.
ESPN BET Key Features
Looking to other sports betting apps powered by PENN Entertainment can give us a better idea of the key features expected from the ESPN BET sportsbook.
One of the best features of Barstool Sportsbook was their use of unique personalities to drive promos, odds boosts, and much more. The ESPN brand will bring a new set of personalities to PENN Entertainment’s new platform, with figures like Pat McAfee and Stephen A. Smith expected to contribute to the multitude of features on ESPN BET.
Some of the other key features we expect from ESPN BET include the following:
- Mobile app: Known for powering reliable mobile apps like theScore Bet and Barstool Sportsbook, PENN Entertainment will bring powerful technology and a wealth of experience to the ESPN BET app. The ESPN BET app should be available for Android and iOS devices once it launches.
- Sportsbook promos: As mentioned above, the ESPN BET sportsbook should offer huge promos entered around notable ESPN personalities. These could include bonus bets, odds boosts, parlay insurance, and much more.
- Banking methods: ESPN BET will rely on PENN Entertainment’s experience with offering payment methods like debit/credit cards (Visa / MasterCard / Discover/ American Express), PayPal, Apple Pay, and online banking.
- Available states: The ESPN BET app will be available in the 16 states where Barstool Sportsbook operated, and potentially others like New York, Kentucky, and North Carolina.
- Betting markets: Based on other sports betting apps powered by PENN, we expect you’ll be able to wager on all your favorite sporting events with ESPN BET. They’ll also offer betting options like moneyline, point spread, totals, parlays, futures, and prop bets.
Specific details on the best ESPN BET features will be provided once the sportsbook becomes available to US sports bettors.
How to Sign Up for an ESPN BET Account
Signing up for an ESPN BET sportsbook account will be a simple process, especially considering most US sports bettors have already signed up with at least one sportsbook.
Best of all, signing up for an ESPN BET account will unlock their most valuable sign-up promo. However, with PENN Entertainment rebranding the Barstool Sportsbook platform, it’s currently unclear weather or not existing customers from the previous platform will need to register for a second time.
In either case, registering a sportsbook account with ESPN BET should look like this:
- Begin the registration process with ESPN BET.
- Provide the required personal information like first and last name, date of birth, email address, phone number, and a created password.
- Verify your identity with the last four digits of your SSN. Don’t worry, your personal information will be 100% secure with ESPN BET.
- Make the first deposit to your ESPN BET sportsbook account.
- Place your first wager with ESPN BET.
Screenshots will be added here to help walk you through the registration process once ESPN BET has gone live.
ESPN Sportsbook FAQs
Still have burning questions about the ESPN BET sportsbook? Here’s what we know so far.
What is ESPN BET?
ESPN BET is the new sportsbook being offered up by the Worldwide Leader in Sports. ESPN BET was announced after PENN Entertainment decided to rebrand Barstool Sportsbook.
When does ESPN BET launch?
ESPN BET is expected to go live in Fall 2023. The expected launch date for ESPN BET will come in the middle of the NFL season before Thanksgiving.
Where is ESPN BET available?
ESPN BET will be available in 16 states on launch, including Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. ESPN BET is expected to expand to new US markets once they’ve gone live.
What is the age requirement for ESPN BET?
Most states will require you to be 21-years of age or older in order to use ESPN BET. Some states allow for a minimum betting age of 18, but it’s unclear if ESPN BET will be available to bettors that age.
Does ESPN have a sportsbook?
Yes, ESPN will be launching ESPN BET in partnership with PENN Entertainment. ESPN BET will go live in Fall 2023.
Who owns ESPN BET?
Powered by a partnership between ESPN and PENN Entertainment, ESPN BET is owned by the Walt Disney Company and Hearst Communications.
What is the ESPN BET sign-up promo?
The ESPN BET sign-up promo has yet to be confirmed. We expect it will take the form of a deposit match bonus or a “bet and get” offer.
Is ESPN BET legit?
Yes, ESPN BET will be a legitimate sportsbook once it launches. Being backed by a partnership between ESPN and Penn Entertainment means you can trust the ESPN sportsbook with your personal and financial details.